Friday, January 30, 2009

35 Days 'til 35

On Groundhog Day (FEB 2) there will be 35 days until I turn 35.


I want to celebrate with so many of you, but, dear friends, you are scattered all over the place! Will you celebrate with me from afar?

I want to try to do something new, quirky, wacky, or celebratory for the 35 days leading up to my birthday. That's where you come in....

Send me your ideas on how I might celebrate for a day, keeping in mind that I want it to be attainable (not skydiving) in an everyday schedule. I will post pics or stories as I partake in each of your brilliant schemes.

If you don't already know this about our family, I'll tell you this:

"We're the Silvermans. We celebrate everything more than once." Hence the 35 days of planned birthday merriment.


Help me celebrate by adding to my list!


How do I feel about turning 35?

I didn't think this age thing would phase me, but I think because so much transition has happenened in my life in the last year I find myself.....phased. I'm struggling even to describe how it's affecting me. I don't want to make it sound all negative. I just find myself noticing the number, and not sure what it means. Am I too old to start something new? Am I too young to have made something of myself? Will I EVER be a responsible grownup?

7 comments:

Tiffany Nevil said...

Oh lady! 35 is young! And besides, technically speaking, if you are to live to be say, 85, you are less than half-way there still. I think 50 will be an AWESOME age because of all that will be left of life. The kids are doing good and don't need me every second...I can just enjoy them as people and do what I (and God) want to do with my life. Rock out! Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I often think about the kind of Grandma I want to be. You just gotta change your perspective.

Sorry I don't have any ideas on the birthday gig....um, I'll think on it.

Tiffany Nevil said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR KRISTINA, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

hope it's a good one!

Tiffany Nevil said...

There, you can hear that for 35 days. :D Sorry, that's all I came up with....

Kelli said...

My ideas will require a little participation from yuor husband, which, knowing what a great guy he is, I suspect will not be a problem. M'Kay: First, every girl needs a spa day for her birthday but spas, well, they're a little pricey. Try something new and fun though. Get an eye treatement and your eyelashes tinted. I bet you could do that for no more than 50 bucks. Still too much? Just go for the eyelash tinting. It's fun, different and for one month your eyelashes will look so long and so dark. Good times! Or you could go for the traditional pedicure, which is always a good idea.

Go to Barnes and Noble; buy yourself a green tea latte (mmm), pull out a travel magazine and write down the top three places that you want to visit before you guys retire. Choose one of the three and start dreaming about what it will be like. (You can plan the other two for after retirement) A third idea - get out an old picture of me and imagine me jumping up and down, whooping and hollering about how awesome you are and how great I think it is that you're turning 35.

Finally, get a sitter for the kids and go with your hubby to the beach one evening at sunset and just watch the sun go down while you get a little salt air therapy.

None of these are overly creative or original, but they all sound awesome to me!

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean. Last month, there were a couple of nights that I woke up thinking of that number. Maybe it's a bit of a mid-life crisis.

That said, no, we're not too old to start something new. Sure, it would have been great to start it ten years ago, but now is what we got. I'll let everyone know on FB when I make my Big Move. :)

Unknown said...

more suggestions - its supposed to be warm this weekend - sandcastle in February? yes I said sandcastle in February!

and how about the portsmouth to norfolk ferry? there used to be a great mexican place right by the portsmouth side facing the water and jillians on the norfolk side

drive down to the outer banks? while you are there visit the wright brothers memorial (homeschool trip!) http://www.outerbanks.com/wrightbrothers/

eat something you have never eaten before - snails? indian food? what have you never eaten before?

go pick out your new glasses - it might not be wild but new glasses make a huge difference (like a makeover!) and I think you said you need them!

Dana said...

I finally thought of something - teach your girls your favorite song or mealtime prayer from camp. My favorites: Johnny Appleseed and Awesome God.