Friday, December 12, 2008

Housework can kill you......



Beware of dirty dishes.

Cleaning them can kill you.

Zaap. zzzzaaaap. zzzzzzaaaap.
After feeling an electric shock for the umpteenth time from my kitchen sink, I decided to call an electrician. (the first few times I felt a shock I wasn't sure if I was imagining things, but today, I got a shock off the edge of my microwave.)

I knew there were some....funky.... things about a few of the plugs around the house, and we needed to install ground fault protection in the ones near water sources. But...

Today I learned that I had 120 volts of electricity soaring through me every time I: touched the kitchen sink, the microwave, the garbage disposal, and the stove. A little bit more can stop your heart.

Can I be excused from all kitchen-related housework now since its hazardous to my health?

Luckily the helpful electrician made some modifications to keep me safe short term. Now I can wash all the dishes I want (do I have to say Hooray?). We turned off all the electricity to that part of the kitchen. That means my microwave is plugged into a heavy duty extension cord, and I have no light over the kitchen sink. But I'm alive and well, ready to tackle another chore.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

That would be all I need. Honey, stick a fork in me (uncharged, please) I'm done. You know they make paper plates right? And napkins, cups, silverware, etc... Don't know what to tell you about your pots and pans though. How's your fmail with p,b & j? Love you guys.

Kelli said...

Sorry, meantto say how's your FAM with p,b&j? Tia is sitting on my lap and squirming and I can't see the keyboard. I'm doing pretty good thoughhuh?